Disclaimer

The content of this blog represents my views and my experiences and mine alone. They do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Monday, March 7, 2011

When Life Begins to Move too Fast for Peace Corps...

Life is determined to make this as complicated as possible. In the field where I will be receiving my master's in May most of the job placement occurs between February and April (aka now). Because PC is not set in stone (although remains my top choice) I have applied to a few (a very selective few) jobs that I could see myself enjoying and that realistically could give Peace Corps a run for its money...

Well this plan may have backfired...or not depending on the perspective. The timeline for my top pick of jobs is moving way faster than I was anticipating. I had a phone interview earlier today and have already been invited to an onsite interview (indicating I am one of the top candidates). This is great...but also terrible, because if the process continues to move this fast there is the very real possibility that I could have an offer next week. However, I have heard nothing from PC placement, which does not leave me feeling very confident that I will hear from them before I am asked to make a decision.

As a result I did what I know you should not do...or at least that is the impression I got from many of the blogs on here...I emailed my placement officer's assistant. I asked for more details on my timeline. At this point I need more information.

It is not fair for me to lead on a job if I am seriously considering a different option...but I also can not afford to pass up on this opportunity for PC, which may not even happen. It would be one thing if I had a job currently...but I do not, so missing out on a job that could realistically in this economy be my one shot at an offer from somewhere I genuinely want to work is very hard.

Any advice? Anyone else struggling with a similar dilemma.

7 comments:

  1. I had a similar predicament. I, however, was in a really bad job that was eating away at my life. I would have scrubbed toilets instead...anyway, my recruiter told me to continue my life like Peace Corps isn't happening.
    You still need a paycheck, job experience, food, etc. I have also noticed a lot of Peace Corps blogs show that someone is nominated for a specific month and it gets pushed back. Maybe it is just the blogs I have read, but it seems like a lot of people have had staging pushed back.

    So my suggestion, take a job if you are offered one. If anything it is extra job experience. I think a lot of companies will understand later that you are doing something noble.

    I have a job I love now and I still plan on doing Peace Corps (as long as I am nominated), but I am getting amazing experience and I have a very nice back-up plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first of all, congratulations on the interview! In this economy, it's great to have options.

    For the dilemma, I am in a similar one. I am graduating from my undergrad in May and have been hesitant about applying to jobs. I would hate to get an amazing job and then quit after 1 month for the Peace Corps - way to burn a bridge! I am currently waiting on my medical clearance (which should be fine...) and then for placement to let me know if I will actually be leaving in August like I was nominated for. I think I'm going to give it another month, and if I haven't gotten medical clearance by then, start looking at other possibilities.

    And as for placement, once they get to you, it seems most people have an invite in the mail the day after their phone interview, so if they contact you soon, it should be a very quick turn around!

    Good luck on your decision - it's a tough one to make! I'm struggling with mine and haven't even bothered to apply to anything else yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea the field I am going into is super small. If you leave a job before 2 years (especially after a month or so) that is pretty much burning bridges all over the place in the field...regardless of the reason. I am hoping since I am nominated for June that the process will move along quickly and the placement office will at least be able to tell me when my file will be reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The previous comments/suggestions were pretty good and not much else can be added. However, one of the things that was said about leaving a job after a few months did not appear to have been fully thought out. If you start a job right after graduation and then leave it after a few months to serve in the Peace Corps, when you return more than two years later, your resume does not even have to display that short-duration job. This is because the time in that job could easily be seen as waiting time for the Peace Corps.
    If you have a good job offer now, go for it and at least have some income while waiting for the PC. If the worst scenario happens and the PC does not come through for you, you will be right where you want to be as a fall-back plan.
    One thing does cloud my mind; Have you informed your prospective employer of your PC plans? I have felt morally compelled to do that when applying for employment and even when applying for volunteer opportunities. Each time, I have been thanked for my honesty, but have not gotten beyond that point for any applications. So, I patiently await an invitation from the PC.
    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. I heard from the placement assistant that my review will not take place for at least 2-3 weeks. Which means that I will likely be forced to make a decision.

    Lew-I have not yet informed them of my pc process because I am treating pc the same way I would treat if I were interviewing etc for another job. I will likely inform them when the offer is fully in hand and then talk seriously about how long I can delay giving a decision.

    I am not so much worried about putting it on my resume in 2 years. It is much more about the fact that the field I am in is incredibly small (couple of thousand) and everyone knows everyone. Which has been proved even in this application process for the position. The hiring committee knew people who knew me from all over the country. If I were to take the job and then leave it abruptly for Peace Corps it is very likely that I would have a very difficult time getting hired in 2 years regardless of if it were on my resume.

    I think it will likely be that I will have to make a decision without all of the information from Peace Corps...either to take the job and remove myself from the PC process :( or to turn down the job and hope that PC comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered deferring the PC? If you have the chance to get two year's "real world" working experience you would be all the more promising a candidate in the PC's eyes, and you would have a lot more to offer your host community.

    I was in a similar boat four years ago - I wanted to apply but for several reasons took a job instead. And I am really glad I did. My determination to join never wavered, I paid off my loans, and I saved hella money. I also volunteered TONS and in the end my application to invitation timeline was less than 5 months, which I was told is really fast turn around.

    Jobs are hard to come by these days but the Peace Corps will still be there in 2 years. Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very true Karon! Do you have any advice how to approach talking with Peace Corps about removing yourself from the process and then reapplying in 2 years? If I decide to do this I am not sure how best to do that or who even to talk to about it.

    Also anyone know if I were to do that how long my medical clearance is good for?

    ReplyDelete