Disclaimer

The content of this blog represents my views and my experiences and mine alone. They do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Anyone Else Out There?

So in order to combat my RAS (restless applicant syndrome) I am trying a few things...

The first is starting to connect with others who have similar nominations as me SOOOO are there any others out there nominated for June, Sub-Saharan Africa, Portuguese Speaking, Health Extension? Based on what I know from pcwiki I am guessing this is likely Mozambique, although I recognize this can change...

The second is to find others who are sitting in the limbo between medical and placement so that we can commiserate through our RAS together.

The third is to become better at blogging...I have no idea if I will have access to internet while in service but I want to begin to practice now so that I am able to ramble about my experiences effectively when I do.

So...ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE? Let be blogging friends so that I am not going through this process alone...who knows we may end up in the same country for service!

9 comments:

  1. I've been there. I went almost 4 months barely hearing anything from the PC. You will make it through. Try to find as much solace in distraction as humanly possible. Have faith. It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally commiserating with you!I was medically cleared in December, but have not heard anything from placement since. I was nominated for Eastern Europe in May, so they still have time. According to pcwiki though, no EE countries are leaving in May now, so I have no clue as to where I am going. Mozambique sounds awesome though!Hope you hear soon! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Val did you see that they recently added Armenia to the Staging Dates for May? Does that count as EE? I hope you hear something soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who's heading to Mozambique for a health assignment. There's also Cape Verde, leaving in July. Not exactly sub-Saharan, but it's Africa and Portuguese-speaking. Hope you hear soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently waiting in the post-medical clearnace pre-contact from placement limbo too. I received my med clearance in January and my nomination is for late-May so I'm pretty sure I don't need to be worried about not hearing from the Placement Office yet, right? It's so funny because until I received my medical clearance I was really calm and relaxed about the whole process but ever since I got that letter in the mail I have had a terrible case of RAS. I'm REALLY looking forward to the email or phone call that lets me know my application is moving through the next steps of the process. Good luck with your wait! You're definitely not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I was nominated for health extension early-mid June Sub-Saharan Africa (no language specification). My medical is being reviewed now, I have to send some clarification results early next week, so maybe I'll hear about clearance within the next 3 weeks. Good luck. The wait's driving me crazy, too! I've waited so long with no response, so things will be going faster than I think with less than 4 months to departure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Peace Corps Hopeful:

    I heard from the placement office just enough to let me know that my file will not be reviewed for another 6 or so weeks. I keep obsessively checking my mail anyway though...

    I know what you mean about being fine until getting medical clearance and then all of a sudden getting really bad RAS. I think it is because it is so close to a reality now. It would stink to make it this far and then have something happen :( Good luck with your wait as well!!! I bet you hear soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SSA July, but I'm also experiencing the angst that comes between medical clearance and placement. Funny because up until now I was the picture of patience... then, BAM! RAS. Haha, glad to hear other people are in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes! I am nominated for asia in late June. Still waiting to hear back. Doesn't it make you so antsy? I am going crazy in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete